Re: using PL/SQL tables to store values

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:02:05 -0400

<happyardy_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
:
: Mark C. Stock wrote:
: > <happyardy_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
: > news:1154797266.923101.275840_at_i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
: > : Hello All,
: > : I am trying to write an application for Student Transfer Articulation.
: > : I have 3 fields(1st one is a drop down menu for "Subject", 2nd one is
: > : text field for "Course Number" and 3rd one is a drop down menu for
: > : "Year") to make up a row on my form. I am allowing a maximum of 10
rows
: > : on the form.
: > : I am planning to use PL/SQL tables to store the values that are
entered
: > : on the form.
: > : Can someone let me know how I can do this ? I mean, how do I actually
: > : get the values from the form into the PL/SQL table and then retrieve
: > : those ? I have the front end ready and want to know how things would
: > : happen once I click on the "Submit Query" button.
: > : I am new to PL/SQL etc and hence the question.
: > : - Ardy
: > :
: >
: > typically PL/SQL tables are temporary in-memory storage used in database
: > packages or in Oracle's Forms and Reports developer tools...
: >
: > what development tools are you using?
:
: > why do you want to use PL/SQL tables? where would the tables reside?
: >
: > ++ mcs
:
: Thanks for your reply.
: I am using Oracle SQL Developer to code(if that is what you meant by
: development tools).
: I have been told to use PL/SQL tables since it would also be a good
: exercise for future development here. At this point I am really not
: that knowledgable to make an educated choice about whether PL/SQL
: tables are the best way to go for my application.
: thanks
: - Ardy
: I have been told to use PL/SQL tables
:

actually, i meant, what is your user interface? what kind of 'form' are you referring to?

and once you store the data in the PL/SQL tables (quite ananlogous to arrays, as Hans pointed out) how will the data in the arrays be used? will it be ready by another process or does it need to be stored in the database?

++ mcs Received on Sat Aug 05 2006 - 18:02:05 CDT