Re: SQLPLus and Linux (Gentoo) - tnsnames problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:42:15 +0200

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:17:57 +0200, Quosek <qosek_at_o2.pl> wrote:

>for me it's problem with visibility TNSNAMES.ORA.... (when i put whole
>connection string in sqlplus command directly it's working - so it's now
>not prolbem of the structure o TNSNAMES)
>
>should this file by called TNSNAMES.ORA, or tsnames.ora ('ve tried both
>of them)?
>what about sqlnet.ora ? capital, or not ? now I've got in it:
>
>NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES)
>SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
>
>only TNS_ADMIN set to directory with tnsnames and sqlnet, or sth more ?
>
>and why everighing is working under windows, and there are so big
>problems with linux (and where is tnsping ??)

the files should be called tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora (both lowercase).
By now it is time to enable tracing. Apart from the fact this is explained in the troubleshooting chapter of the net administrators manual, I explained it at least a 1000 times in the oracle forums.

Answers to questions like this are documented. Please don't waste people's time by asking doc questions. The doc is online at http://tahiti.oracle.com

You seem to have (from the subject line of your initial post) an exotic, and probably not certified and not supported Linux variant. Windows is Windows is Windows is Windows. There is no such thing as 'Linux'

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA