Re: Regexp rant

From: <snarks_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2006 01:55:36 -0700

snarks_at_gmail.com wrote:
> : I'll get my coat...

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
> ???

Er, sorry, that might not be an expression that has made it across the pond. It's a line from a comedy programme in which someone makes a huge blunder in a social situation, like thinking that the serious high-brow Shakespeare conversation is all about Leonardo di Caprio's films, and when he realises that he has blundered, gets up and says "I'll get me coat" and leaves the group, so great is his embarrassment.

So, that was me saying "Ah, I've blundered, I can't show my face round here any more". It turns out I've been testing these functions on a 9i installation, which explains why they weren't working, and I assumed that they were only available in SQL SELECT statements, not plain variable assignment expressions.

Phil Hibbs. Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 03:55:36 CDT