Re: Combining column values across rows with sorting

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2006 06:14:18 -0700

puneet wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm absolutely new to oracle & have been asked to write a query which
> combines multiple columns into a single row.I'm sure that this can be
> done using 9i but havent been able to figure out how.
> The table is:
>
> Emp ID Code Name
> 1 d ddd
> 1 b bbb
> 1 c ccc
> 1 a aaa
> 2 p ppp
> 2 z zzz
> 2 a aaa
>
> Req o/p using a query is:
>
> Emp ID Details(sorted according to Code before
> concatenation)
> 1 aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd
> 2 aaa,ppp,zzz
>
> I'll highly appeciate it if anyone can tell me the query to get this
> result.
> Thanks.

A simple quiery with an order by on emp_id, code will arrange the data in the right order then all you have to do is pivot the rows into columns. Actually concatenate in your case.

See the newsgroup archives searching on pivot table. Or visit http://asktom.oracle.com and search on the same subject.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jun 12 2006 - 08:14:18 CDT