Re: PL-SQL Noobie

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:47:30 GMT

Chad wrote:
> Do you know how to do this T-SQL in PL-SQL, namely, move a single record
> query result columns into local variables?
>

> BEGIN
>
> DECLARE @PersonId int
>
> DECLARE @FirstName varchar(50)
>
> DECLARE @LastName varchar(50)
>

> SET @PersonId = 1
>

> --Return a single record
>
> SELECT
>
> @FirstName = ISNULL(FirstName,''),
>
> @LastName = ISNULL(LastName,''),
>

> FROM
>
> People
>
> WHERE
>
> PersonId = @PersonId
>
> END

Try this:

DECLARE
    PersonID NUMBER := 1001;
    FirstName VARCHAR2(50);
    LastName VARCHAR2(50);
BEGIN
    SELECT FirstName,LastName INTO FirstName,LastName     FROM People WHERE PersonID = PersonID; END;
/

 > Also, can someone refer me to a good source of PL-SQL documentation similar

 > to MS SQL' Books Online (PL-SQL-specific stuff to learn the syntax)

Have you looked at the Oracle documentation? Try the following PL/SQL doc:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14261/toc.htm

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland