Re: Slight "I have some string, how lng it it, BTW, it's blue" question

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:44:25 GMT

> : If you use a view and query from the view, you are using a SQL solution.
> : Using cursors to do your join will usually be slower than doing it with
> : a well-formed SQL statement.
>
> can you expand on what you mean by 'Using cursors to do your join'? are you
> really indicating using more than one SQL statement and somehow performing
> the join programmatically? after all a 'join' is by definition down within a
> SQL statement which is run within a cursor -- so what am i missing here?

You'd have to ask the OP. It was he who said "Sorry it this isn't clear - the reasoning behind
some of the use of cursors to mimic joins is way beyond me." I'm assuming that he is processing
the join programmatically, but that is just an assumption.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net