Re: Basic Questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 07:13:51 +0200

On Thu, 18 May 2006 19:49:56 -0400, "Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please_at_nospam.com> wrote:

>I would like to get a little bit of hands on experience with PL/SQL,
>Developer 6.0, and Report Writer on Oracle in the next few days.
>
>I'm very fluent with DB2 and many of its tools and techniques and pretty
>functional with MySQL but have never used Oracle so I'm not sure what all
>the different components of Oracle are. I'd like to install a basic
>environment on my PC so that I can use the tools I mentioned but I don't
>want to get bogged down in installing/configuring a bunch of stuff that
>isn't relevant.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I need to install and where I can download trial
>versions of the components I need?

Developer 6.0 has entered the museum many years ago. If you want current software download Oracle 10g XE from http://otn.oracle.com (150 Mb dowload). There is still a thing called Internet Developer Suite, but in your suite that is probably overkill.
XE comes with various new developer tools, Oracle is going to move to anyway.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA