Re: French characters

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 May 2006 14:04:02 -0700

Alt255 wrote:
> I've looked everywhere for a solution and can't find one. We have
> french descriptions in our Oracle data warehouse that I need to use if
> the client is flag as speaking french. Through SQL/PLUS I can see the
> umlauts (accents) like the letter é. But MS Access mixes them up with
> another character. I have set my computers language to
> English(Canadian) and ever French(Canadian), nothing changes. I will
> not parse every word to test for the characters because the filed is
> too long and the recordset large.
>
> I have cross posted this to the MS Access discussion group, but thought
> that one of you Oracle DBAs may have came across such a problem with
> your users in a MS Access envirnment.
>
> Any ideas how I can configure this?

I would guess you need to either configure Access to use the proper codepage " A conversion table that specifies how characters are encoded (usually used for servers)" or change the data warehouse to use the characterset that your Access codepage is set to. What is your database set to? What is Access set to?

select * from nls_database_parameters;

You might need to look in your registry for something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage\ or maybe something Access specific, I wouldn't know.

If you have access to metalink, see Note:158577.1 for a character set faq.

Note the versions and platforms of everything are necessary to properly answer your question.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "We're not mining or trolling through the
personal lives of millions of innocent Americans.  Our efforts are