Re: Oracle transactions and DDL statements.

From: <peter.koch.larsen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 May 2006 14:09:39 -0700

DA Morgan skrev:

> peter.koch.larsen_at_gmail.com wrote:

[sn]

> > Kind regards
> > Peter
> ip
> TTBOMK it is impossible to perform DDL in Oracle with two commits
> being issued. DDL is wrapped in the following structure before it
> is executed.
>
> BEGIN
> COMMIT;
> -- your DDL statement here;
> COMMIT;
> END;
> /
>
> What you didn't explain, as I read what you posted, is why the
> commit is a problem. Why do you have uncommited transactional
> data, when changing the data model?

I do not have uncommitted data per se, but when I change the datamodel, this change involves several tables and triggers and might span more than one database (only one of them being from Oracle), There are also non-database subsystems that participate in the distributed transaction. The problem occurs if e.g. the non-database transaction must abort the transaction for one reason or the other.

> You need to appreciate that Oracle's concepts and architecture
> are quite different from that of the other products you mention
> and if you want to work in Oracle you need to work the way
> Oracle works.

Right. But thus time it is not a feature, but a limitation that is not as i see it is not in any way based on some requirement for logical consistency - more like the opposite if anything.

/Peter