Delete query from Matching Records

From: Alt255 <alt255.2005_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2006 08:42:26 -0700

I can't seem to get my head wrapped around this. I have two tables:

One has Daily Tansactions (compl_trxd) and is keyed on trxd_plan_num ( as well as other fields)
One has new plans (compl_nplan) and is keyed on nplan_plan_num.

Every day I load new plans that were created today into the compl_nplan table
I then drop the Daily Transaction table, and reload with todays transactions (contains all plans that transacted including old ones). I compare the two tables and report on any plans that had its first transaction.

I then want to remove these plans from the compl_nplan table that had a transaction that day ( leaving plans with no transactions left intact since I only show the plans intitial transactions, and then remove them from further reporting)

I tried the following sql - but it deletes all the records from compl_nplan - when it should on deelte a tiny fraction.

DELETE FROM Compl_nplan
WHERE exists ( select trxd_plan_num from compl_trxd_complete,compl_nplan
where trxd_plan_num = nplan_plan_num
group by trxd_plan_num