9iR2 Index Tuning Wizard: span of analysis?

From: sphealey <sphealey_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 4 May 2006 08:22:41 -0700

Oracle 9iR2 (9.2.0.7.0) on a Windows 2003 platform.

The Enterprise Manager's Index Tuning Wizard states in the header of its reports:

Index tuning analysis evaluates indexing strategies for schema tables by processing collected SQL statements and other evidence from a database application environment. The specific goal is to recommend strategies that will effectively increase performance for important application components.

but what we cannot find any documentation on is what period of time the analysis covers. One hour? 24 hours? Since the last instance restart? Since instance installation?

This is an issue for us as we are currently in light-load testing of a business software upgrade. We don't want to make changes that will then be counterproductive when we go under heavy load. But if the analysis is since instance restart or since instance installation, the results might never be correct due to the long period of light-load testing.

Input or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

sPh Received on Thu May 04 2006 - 10:22:41 CDT