Oracle RAC deadman switch on AIX5.3

From: <erikw_nl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 May 2006 00:46:24 -0700

Hi,

We are using Oracle RAC 10GR2 on AIX 5.3 systems. Since RAC 10GR2 is a clustering technique that does not use HACMP anymore for clustering functionality, RAC itself has a deadman switch like HACMP to prevent cluster isolation.

We had several occasions where the AIX system crashed for no obvious reason due to the fact that the RAC deadman switch went off. The DBA mentioned that problems with interconnect network interface, ocr and voting device may provoke RAC to kill the AIX system.

Does anybody have experience with this, how can the Oracle timeout setting be influenced. Oracle claims that "the settings work as designed".
Recently, when PowerPath redundancy was used during a SAN switch reconfiguration, all systems worked fine without any error, except the Oracle RAC systems which ALL crashed.

Thaks in advance,

Erik Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 02:46:24 CDT