Re: nlssort problem

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 28 Apr 2006 08:29:28 GMT

MadeOfRose <mehmetgulden_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for well explained answer.
> i use ALTER SESSION statement and it works very well.
> do i have to anything at oracle if i set the NLS_SORT=XTURKISH
> environment variable?
> how does oracle understand the environment variable?

Setting the environment variable will determine the default setting for the session parameter - if you don't set the environment, you'll have to ALTER SESSION at the beginning of each session. ALTER SESSION will override the default setting from the environment variable.

The choice is yours.

Basically, if you set the environment variable, everything should be fine.

I would probably also change the initialization parameter with ALTER SYSTEM and restart the instance, just to make sure. I don't know if this setting will have any effect at all, but maybe it applies for situations where there is no session started from a client machine (jobs or the like).

Maybe somebody else knows more about that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Fri Apr 28 2006 - 03:29:28 CDT