Re: app start up with oracle

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2006 09:04:04 -0700

schw wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm writing an app that will be a simple server communicating with my
> pl/sql procedures via tcp/ip (utl_tcp package). How can I cause the app
> to start up along with the Oracle after e.g. machine reboot?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> best regards,
>
> schw

Always specify your Oracle version and OS.

In your case, you would need the database open for connections before you launch your application. You can do this via a script started at boot up, e.g.

loop counter = 1
open a simple loop

     Exit if the loop counter reaches e.g. 100 to prevent runaway loop
     Connect to database via sqlplus like echo exit|sqlplus __/__ |
grep -i "ora-01017"
     if $0 or %errorlevel%==0
         database is open for connections
         launch your application
         break
     end if
     Loop counter ++

end loop

Alternately... you can simply start your Oracle database first and then your application via the same script at boot up.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 11:04:04 CDT