Re: how to become an IT professional?

From: <mandie772007_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2006 10:59:34 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:
> The first thing you have to do is make up your mind on what career path
> you want to follow. Oracle and DB2 DBA's are normally hired out of
> developer ranks and not hired right out of school.
>
> Web skills are good. Java and C++ are probably two of the best
> languages to have training in. You will also want experience with a
> web development environment and you should probably add a scripting
> language like PHP or Perl to you resume.
>
> But to tell you the truth I am not sure that the world does not alreay
> have enough IT people. You might be better off going into medicine:
> nursing, lab technician, Doctor, research, etc....

In my case, since I have alread graduated with an IT degree, and not so young , I am going to have to stick with it. (I got out of Chemistry because chemicals were making me sick even in teaching environment). You said that Oracle and DB2 DBA's are normally hired out of developer ranks and not hired right out of school.

By developer rank, do you mean someone with some work experience in programming of any language? Or specifically with dabase experience?

I have not worked in IT since graduation 2years ago (didn't even look for a job due to many issue) and willing to take even volunteer work at this point but to get my foot inot database area, what area of Datbase area that I should focus on learning first? Received on Tue Apr 04 2006 - 12:59:34 CDT