Re: sql dummies

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:28:59 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:03:25 +0100, Marten Lehmann wrote:

>> will return exactly one row of data with lets say 3 rows.

> Sorry, I was meaning columns.

You apparently are looking for a placeholder mechanism.

In Oracle, I believe the closest thing you will find is the 'DUAL' table, which has one real column and one real row.

Select * from dual;

will always return one row, one column. You can then use literal to be placeholders for the further expressions you need in development. (The simplest expression being, of course, a simple column or literal.)

One caution - there are enough differences between Oracle and Sybase internals that you will have some challenges in your approach. I strongly encourage reading Tom Kyte's books (see http://www.apress.com) before proceeding - the list of challenges IS long enough and complex enough to fill a book.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com