Re: Ragarding Oracle certification

From: Ian M <me_at_NOSPAM.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:42:13 +0100

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2006.03.06.18.36.45.407557_at_telus.net...
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:33:10 +0000, HansF wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:34:45 -0800, chittora.diwakar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Friends ,
>>> well i am new to this group, can anyone tell me about how much
>>> beneficial an Oracle certification i.e introduction to Sql will have in
>>> getting a good job ??
>>
>> Oracle certification, along with most certification in any computing
>> field, has long been considered worthless by many. This because
>> certification implies competence, and many certification tests can be
>> passed by pure memorization, ignoring the need for competence. Secondly,
>> many computing certification tests have questions that are demonstrably
>> incorrect.
>>

>> However, some employers are very keen on having certified personnel, and
>> reward certification with jobs, promotions and/or raises.
>>
>> The value of certification varies dramatically by geography. As Daniel
>> says, in the US Northwest area in which he works, certification is not
>> considered an asset. On the other hand, in parts of western Canada,
>> there
>> has been a dramatic increase in companies wanting professionals to be
>> certified OCPs, as well as demonstrating verifiable experience.
>
> However - intro to SQL is considered a 'table stake' whether taken
> formally, or learned based on experience. Without that (eg; without
> the ability to understand virtually everything in the O'Reilly book
> 'Mastering Oracle SQL') even a junior job in Oracle will not be available.
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** Top posting [replies] guarantees I won't respond. ***

Thought provoking..

If you do not know Oracle and by that I mean have at least a few years experience with her then do not try to BS your way through an interview it wont work if the guy hiring is experienced in the field.

In Europe, I would hire on a conversation, it does not take long to weed out the exam boys from the DBA's. If you have ever been to an Oracle Course/Lecture led by an Oracle Instructor and compared this to an Oracle course led by a Person with experience, well then you will know what I mean. You loose points with the word GUI (or windows), and if you even spout the phrase OEM (which is comically part of the OCP) then your still looking for a job. With that said, in Europe it is also very popular to request OCP in job advertisements via HR, I have even seen situations where very well qualified candidates have been auto rejected because they lacked this OCP qualification.

Having the extra OCP tick in the box will never do you any harm, not having it may stop you from getting to the table of the guy that will hire you!

Good Luck. Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 16:42:13 CST