Re: Ragarding Oracle certification

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:36:47 GMT

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:33:10 +0000, HansF wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:34:45 -0800, chittora.diwakar wrote:
>

>> Hi Friends ,
>> well i am new to this group, can anyone tell me about how much
>> beneficial an Oracle certification i.e introduction to Sql will have in
>> getting a good job ??

> Oracle certification, along with most certification in any computing
> field, has long been considered worthless by many. This because
> certification implies competence, and many certification tests can be
> passed by pure memorization, ignoring the need for competence. Secondly,
> many computing certification tests have questions that are demonstrably
> incorrect.
>

> However, some employers are very keen on having certified personnel, and
> reward certification with jobs, promotions and/or raises.
>
> The value of certification varies dramatically by geography. As Daniel
> says, in the US Northwest area in which he works, certification is not
> considered an asset. On the other hand, in parts of western Canada, there
> has been a dramatic increase in companies wanting professionals to be
> certified OCPs, as well as demonstrating verifiable experience.

However - intro to SQL is considered a 'table stake' whether taken formally, or learned based on experience. Without that (eg; without the ability to understand virtually everything in the O'Reilly book 'Mastering Oracle SQL') even a junior job in Oracle will not be available.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com