Re: whenever sqlerror is an unknown statement?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:11:40 -0500

"Jim Smith" <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:3ZnIkZsTV02DFwgu_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk...
> In message <1138389236.752751.191880_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> jjsavage_at_gmail.com writes
>>Upgrade procedures? That sounds promising indeed. Where can I find
>>out about them?
>
> Upgrade procedures are procedures that you write to do an upgrade. My
> preference would also be to upgrade the database before running the
> upgraded software but if your customers have no technical staff then
> embedding the upgrade in the application is probably acceptable.

along with jim's suggestion of a version table, it would probably be good to have your application merely check if the database structures are correct and report an error, then isolate the upgrade procedures to a separate utility that is only run be privileged users, rather than upgrade things on the fly. this imposes some discipline on version management.

++ mcs Received on Sat Jan 28 2006 - 05:11:40 CST