Re: ORA-3004: when using SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH function, cannot have separator as part of column value

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:10:11 +0100

"Jeff Calico" <jeffCalico_at_hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 1134414021.161996.277250_at_g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| Hello
|
| I have a table (well, 2 tables joined) with a hierarchial parent/child
| record structure.
| I can order other such tables just fine with SQL like:
|
| SELECT
| SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH( directory_name, '/' ) "Path"
| FROM Table T
| START WITH T.directory_name IS NULL
| CONNECT BY PRIOR T.id = T.parent_id
|
| Anyway, the problem seems to be when there are spaces in the string for
| directory name,
| like "Program Files", then I get the error message listed in the
| subject of this posting.
|
| I've tried concatenating quotes on, like
| ' ' ' ' || directory_name || ' ' ' ' but that still doesn't seem to
| work.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| thanks,
| Jeff

I think the error message is quite understandable: you have a '/' (your separator) in a value of your column directory_name. This is not allowed. From which the error message "cannot have separator as part of column value" If this was allowed how can you make the difference between 2 values and 2 parts of a lone value?.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Mon Dec 12 2005 - 13:10:11 CST