ORA-3004: when using SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH function, cannot have separator as part of column value

From: Jeff Calico <jeffCalico_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2005 11:00:21 -0800

Hello

I have a table (well, 2 tables joined) with a hierarchial parent/child record structure.
I can order other such tables just fine with SQL like:

      SELECT
                      SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH( directory_name, '/' ) "Path"
       FROM    Table T
       START WITH          T.directory_name IS NULL
       CONNECT BY PRIOR    T.id      = T.parent_id

Anyway, the problem seems to be when there are spaces in the string for directory name,
like "Program Files", then I get the error message listed in the subject of this posting.

I've tried concatenating quotes on, like ' ' ' ' || directory_name || ' ' ' ' but that still doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Jeff Received on Mon Dec 12 2005 - 13:00:21 CST