Re: degree asignment

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:34:27 GMT

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:14:24 +0000, Lister wrote:

> At college, I am doing a multimedia course (degree level, or
> thereabouts)and I have to write five hundred words on Oracle. I know
> very little about oracle, except that it's a high end database engine
> generally used by big multinational companies. As port of the
> assignment, I have to get information from less obvious sources, such
> as newsgroups. What sort of things should I say about Oracle?
>
> Cheers

You might start by considering that Oracle is the world's second largest software [only] company, and that it has products in virtually every area of the software industry Except computer games and office suites.

Oracle provides a lot of information about itself at http://www.oracle.com in the 'ABout' section. I have never seen a company so shrouded in mythology and competitor-generated FUD, so anything not coming from them is likely to be a misinterpretation of someone else's misunderstanding of the organization.

Other than that, check out the book 'Oracle Insights: Tales of the Oak Table' published by APress. Good history lesson in that as well.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com