Oracle can read file not allowed by oracle user

From: <thanosz_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2005 04:46:29 -0800

Hello.

Using oracle 9.2.0.5 on AIX 5.3. I have user oracle and group oinstall and recommended in installation. I have a directory oracle/oinstall (owner/group) with r-xr-x-- permissions and in there a I have a file owned by root/system with rw-r-----, so root has rw and group (system) has r only. When I login as user oracle and cat this file I am not able to read it, which is correct since oracle is not owner and not in the group.

However when I create a directory in oracle

create or replace directory MY_DIR as '/pathtodir'; grant write on MY_DIR to user;
grant read on MY_DIR to user;

I am able to read this file through a procedure.

Aren't all the file accessed by oracle user and there all permissions provided at the OS level should be respected? Is it possible to even override these (through the grant).

Thanks. Received on Fri Nov 25 2005 - 06:46:29 CST