Re: Oracle costs and requirements

From: Matt Bailey <mattb947_at_hotmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:00:25 GMT

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:10:08 -0800, Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>Matt Bailey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I risk sounding like an idiot here, but I'm a database newbie and I
>> don't know the first thing about Oracle - not a jot!
>
>Welcome to Oracle
>
>> I'm currently doing a University assignment that requires me to cost
>> out an Oracle database for a company, along with all its trimmings,
>> but I've been unable to find any information on the web.
>>
>> It's a small company and its data requirements are very small. I'm
>> wondering if anyone here can help me out with my estimation. I need to
>> know:
>>
>> A. What's required for an Oracle database?
>>
>> So far I'm assuming:
>>
>> A server (any particular kind?)
>
>Pretty much any kind you want. Oracle runs on nearly all hardware and/or
>operating systems. Popular platforms are Windows, Linux, and Unix
>
>> The Oracle 10g software
>
>There are 5 editions of the Oracle Database Software
>
>Oracle Enterprise Edition - for high end, mission critical transaction
>processing and data warehousing environments.
>
>Oracle Standard Edition - for small to medium businesses, on machines up
>to 4 CPUs in size
>
>Oracle Standard Edition One - for small to medium businesses, on
>machines up to 2 CPUs in size
>
>Oracle Personal Edition - for single user environments
>
>Each of these is based on the same code line, so applications developed
>for one can be easily migrated to a 'stronger' edition.
>
>There is also the new Express Edition - see below
>
>> An Oracle license (don't have a clue about this)
>
>Each (esxcept for the Express Edition) is licensable. The prices are
>published on store.oracle.com, but range from $149 per user, all the way
>up to $40,000 per CPU
>
>There are also additional options available with the Enterprise Edition
>that addresses key requirements in the enterprise - such as advanced
>security, real application clustering, data partitioning etc. These are
>again priced seperately
>

>> but is there anything else?
>>

>Oracle also has a new starter edition out in beta, called Express
>Edition. This is 100% free for use, but has some limits in terms of the
>amount of CPU it will use, data it will hold etc. It is also very quick
>to download and install, and you can literally have your first
>application up and developed within a minute of install. If you want to
>kick the tires of Oracle, I would recommend it
>

>> B. How much does all this stuff cost?
>
>Without being facteious, pretty much as much as you want to spend. You
>can start with Oracle for free, or, as a large corporation, literlally
>spend millions
>

>> I hope someone's got some advice, cause I'm a bit clueless at the
>> minute. Cheers,
>
>Go to otn.oracle.com This is a free site, but you will have to register.
>Specifically have a look at the content starting from the database home
>page -
> [...]

Mark - that's really useful and has answered several questions that have been going round in my mind.

I will definitely check out the free Express Edition. I'm keen to get some real hands-on experience with Oracle, so that should come in nicely.

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Matt Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 17:00:25 CST