Re: problemwith access on standard DB after installation (Oracle 10g)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:24:10 +0100

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:06:35 +0100, Daniel Wetzler <danielwetzler_at_appleinfo.de> wrote:

>Dear Oracle users,
>
>I'm new to Oracleso my questaion could be very stupid.
>
>I installed Oracle 10g on a windows 2000 mashine andwould like to access
>the standard database usind the Enterprise manager :
>http://mycomputer:5500/em
>
>If I try that I get a screen on my browser telling me, that the status
>of my database is not accessible and that I shouuld start it.
>
>If I start itand try to access it afterwards I get also the error
>that it is not accessible and the Enterprise manager asks me to shut it
>down.
>
>I fear that some kind of service is not running onmy mashine.
>Does anyone know what could be wrong ?
>
>The installation was performedwithout any problem only ine time
>I had to repeat the startup of a service called "OR" during the installtion.
>
>Any hints ?
>
>Best regards and thanks in advance,
>
>Daniel Wetzler

As a minimum, you need to make sure the services - OracleService<SID>, where SID is the SID of your database - OracleTNSListenener
and
- OracleDBControl<SID>
are running.
Also you need to verify whether you can actually access the database by firing up a DOS-box and issuing
set ORACLE_SID=<yoursid>
sqlplus sys/<password> as sysdba

If you get
'Connected to an idle instance'
the database is not running, and you need to issue startup

From your post it is highly unlikely the installation was successful. Also there is no service called 'OR'
You don't have a DHCP-based IP address by any chance?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA