Re: Looking for a SQL Function

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:48:56 -0800

"R. P." <r_pol12gar_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:LuKdnUgzwaTBtfXeRVn-jQ_at_comcast.com...
> Is there an Oracle character function returning the number of occurances
> of a substring in a string? INSTR() is close but not quite what I am
> looking for.
>
> Thanks,
> Rudy

You could write a function using substr and instr that would return what you are looking for. I don't know of an Oracle function that does this natively. Check the doco at otn.oracle.com, documentation, and in the list of books choose SQL Reference guide. You will see in the table of contents the list of functions. You can look there. (just in case you have not, but clearly you did do some homework.)
Jim Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 21:48:56 CST