Re: How can I calculate the real size of a table or a tablespace?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 1 Nov 2005 18:52:59 -0800

HansF wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:14:50 +0800, 001 amused us by writing:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The size showed on OEM is the size I allocated, isn't it?
> > How can I calculate the real size of a table or a tablespace?
>
> What do you mean by 'the real size'?
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** Top posting guarantees I will not respond further ***

Gauging by the prior posts in this regard I expect the OP wants to know the actual size of the data stored in the table, not simply tne total number of extents, populated or not, it contains. Yes, it would have been nice for the OP to have stated such a fact, but we're expected to read minds and divine answers with the most minimal of information. If this is, indeed, the thrust of the OPs question such topics already have been covered in this newsgroup and a search of the archives would provide any number of threads providing various and sundry methods, a technique I strongly suggest the OP utilise.

One COULD dump blocks to find the total 'occupied' space, but that would be a bit much to ask, as Oracle does provide packages that can be used for such purposes. The dbms_space package comes readily to mind, providing such information with minimal effort. The dbms_stats package computes such statistics as blocks and empty_blocks, providing a better estimate of occupied space, provided the OP wants to do some 'lifting' to calculate the difference. The dbms_rowid package can provide information as well, but this method requires a bit more 'heavy lifting' to produce usable results.

Now that the OP has a clue I suggest he invest his time in the documentation and in some experimentation with regard to the packages listed.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 20:52:59 CST