Re: Help with junk characters

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:16:02 +0100

News wrote:
> I run 9i on unix aix with NLS_LANG AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1. I
> generated data for use with SQL Loader from access database using oracle
> workbench migration. The .dat files looks good on windows but when I
> transfer them to unix host using ftp there are junk characters. This happens
> only with files generated by migration tool so there's no problem with ftp
> tool (I tried with 2 different ones). I can transfer normally any other file
> created using any other editor on windows containing special characters. It
> shows well using cat, in vi editor or when I insert data into tables. This
> is not the case of files generated during migration. I cannot figure out
> what's the problem with these files once transferred. The only difference I
> noticed is eof eor tags and whole data as single line.

What exactly do you qualify as junk characters? The files, created by the offline data migration scripts indeed do not use NL or CR/NL combinations, especially to prevent those issues with ftp cross-platform. So it is perfectly OK that you see just one line, with <eof> as end-of-field and <eor> as end-of-record tags.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...