Re: Help with junk characters

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 02 Nov 2005 13:14:47 GMT

News <news_connection_at_yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I run 9i on unix aix with NLS_LANG AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1. I
> generated data for use with SQL Loader from access database using oracle
> workbench migration. The .dat files looks good on windows but when I
> transfer them to unix host using ftp there are junk characters. This happens
> only with files generated by migration tool so there's no problem with ftp
> tool (I tried with 2 different ones). I can transfer normally any other file
> created using any other editor on windows containing special characters. It
> shows well using cat, in vi editor or when I insert data into tables. This
> is not the case of files generated during migration. I cannot figure out
> what's the problem with these files once transferred. The only difference I
> noticed is eof eor tags and whole data as single line.

To get a good response, please clarify what you did and what your problem is.

I bet you that your problem is the following, correct me if I'm wrong:

Your Windows data contain some of the dreaded "spoil data transfer to non-Windows systems" characters.

Microsoft software is optimized to create these characters; e.g. if you type ordinary characters with Microsoft Word, it will automatically turn them into Windows-specific characters without telling you.

Typical examples for this are single and double left quotes and hyphens.

Microsoft has invented its own codepages (WIN1252 and similar) to facilitate this incompatibility.

If that is indeed your problem, there are different approaches to a solution:

For more information, consult the Oracle documentation for NLS issues and codepages.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Wed Nov 02 2005 - 07:14:47 CST