Re: Using Generic Comparator in Oracle ORDER BY

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:29:58 GMT

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:51:28 -0700, casey.kirkpatrick interested us by writing:

> Much obliged... but your response kind of misses the mark. I need
> ORDER BY to use a custom PL/SQL comparator, not compare the results of
> a custom PL/SQL function.
>
> In other words, I need ORDER by to sort so that "A-1.1" < "A-1.2" <
> "A-1.10" (but that works at any arbitrary depth).

You miss the point.

YOU can write a pl/sql function that does the interpretation and use the results in the order by. That function becomes your comparator and it can be set up to handle any arbitrary depth.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com