Re: Different Listener

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 25 Oct 2005 04:46:07 -0700

Juan Carlos wrote:

> I have a oracle 9.i database in an Aix machine.
> ¿can I have a listener in this machine, and other listener in a NT
> machine? ¿how can I make it?

Juan, to add to what Hans said - you also only need a -single- listener per platform. Even if there are different version Oracle instances on that platform. A single Oracle listener can service multiple databases and different Oracle versions on a single platform (within reason though - doubt that a 10G listener can service a 7.2.1 instance.. never tried that myself).

As for configuring the listener - vi the listener.ora file (in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin) and configure. Yes there are GUI stuff to do it.. but that is for WIMPy dudes. :-)

Configuring and understanding the listener settings are best done IMO by getting your hands dirty and doing it manually (with the manual at hand). Just remember that a good command line hacker -always- have backups.

--
Billy