Re: Oracle on VM and SuSE?

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:34:35 +1000

ramon_at_conexus.net says...

> The host OS will be SuSE 9 server and it will also be inside a VM
> running Oracle 10gR2. I also have to carry an OCR application which
> unfortunately only works on Windows (hence my need for a VM).

If your need for VMWare just to run your Windows OCR application (as opposed to needing multiple versions of Oracle on distinct servers), then just make sure you run Oracle on your *host* O/S, not inside a VMWare virtual machine.

> Once again: any tips and pointers from folks that have experience with
> the described or similar combination of hardware and software is much
> welcome and appreciated.

Our development env is a single machine, 2 x Xeon 3GHz Dell PowerEdge 2650 server with 6Gb RAM. Host O/S is linux. Oracle runs on the host O/S as the primary data server. We have three VMWare virtual machines also running on it, two linux ones (one as a test data server and one as a separate Cognos application and web server) and one Windows 2000 Server (another Cognos application and web server).

Runs well.

Incidently, found that Windows VMWare virtual machines run much better on a linux host O/S than they do on a Windows host O/S. :-)

Geoff M Received on Wed Oct 12 2005 - 20:34:35 CDT