Re: Oracle on VM and SuSE?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 12 Oct 2005 18:01:27 -0700

Thanks for your answer, Geoff.

I guess I need to provide more details. I am going to be carrying this server with me overseas so I can only bring one box. This box hasn't been ordered yet so I can still decide whether it's going to have a 32 or a 64 bit CPU.

The host OS will be SuSE 9 server and it will also be inside a VM running Oracle 10gR2. I also have to carry an OCR application which unfortunately only works on Windows (hence my need for a VM).

Question: I was excited to check out my first Intel 64 CPU, but now I am hesitant, after reading in the Oracle site that the RDBM supports only 32 bits. Now I am considering chickening out and sticking with tried and true 32 bit. Any comments on that?

Once again: any tips and pointers from folks that have experience with the described or similar combination of hardware and software is much welcome and appreciated.

TIA, -Ramon Received on Wed Oct 12 2005 - 20:01:27 CDT