Re: Oracle 8i MTS

From: Fred Puhan <fjp_at_his.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:51:17 -0400

Mark Bole wrote:

> Just Fred wrote:
>

>> Note to self: do not throw away old config files...
>>
>> I used to run Oracle8i with both MTS and dedicated servers. Now I run
>> Oracle 9i without.
>>
>> A client has a similar configuration as my old instance, and now wants
>> to force an application to connect via dedicated server. The
>> application does not use TNSNAMES.ORA or SQLNET.ORA but rather builds
>> its own internal connect string. Thus, they cannot override MTS at the
>> client.
>
> [...]
>
> I question this assumption.  Can you give an example?  Why can't
> (SERVER=DEDICATED) be included in the "internal" connect string?
>
> -Mark Bole

The connect string is formed through the use of an XML configuration file. Each tag in the file has a specific acceptable value (attempting to "force" an additional value such as

<port>1521 (SERVER=DEDICATED)</port>

rather than

<port>>1521</port>

will break the construct I've been told. Received on Wed Oct 05 2005 - 19:51:17 CDT