Re: Oracle 8i MTS

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:18:18 GMT

Fred Puhan wrote:

> Mark Bole wrote:
>

>> Just Fred wrote:
>>
>>> Note to self: do not throw away old config files...
>>>
>>> I used to run Oracle8i with both MTS and dedicated servers. Now I run
>>> Oracle 9i without.
>>>
>>> A client has a similar configuration as my old instance, and now
>>> wants to force an application to connect via dedicated server. The
>>> application does not use TNSNAMES.ORA or SQLNET.ORA but rather builds
>>> its own internal connect string. Thus, they cannot override MTS at
>>> the client.
>>

>> [...]
>>
>> I question this assumption.  Can you give an example?  Why can't
>> (SERVER=DEDICATED) be included in the "internal" connect string?
>>
>> -Mark Bole
>>

> The connect string is formed through the use of an XML configuration
> file. Each tag in the file has a specific acceptable value (attempting
> to "force" an additional value such as
>
> <port>1521 (SERVER=DEDICATED)</port>
>
> rather than
>
> <port>>1521</port>
>

> will break the construct I've been told.

Perhaps the client is still using the deprecated form of connect identifier such as "@server:1521:sid" ?

Nowadays the preferred form of connection descriptor is the same as what you would put in a TNSNAMES.ORA file. This must be used for clients such as JDBC thin client that don't know about TNSNAMES.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/naming.htm#sthref691

Back to your original question, you said "A client has a similar configuration as my old instance", which you also said supported both shared server and dedicated. So what's the problem?

Sure you can add another listener into your listener.ora file that defaults to dedicated instead of shared server, but it will have to listen on a different port and/or network address. Not sure what you meant by "create a new listener externally" -- you mean, install another ORACLE_HOME and run a listener out of there? I don't think that would add one bit of value.

-Mark Bole Received on Thu Oct 06 2005 - 12:18:18 CDT