Re: Import from different systems

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:27:46 GMT

Oracle has a powerful (but complex to learn initially) bulk loader called SQL Loader. It is described in considerable detail, with many case studies, in the Utilities manual found at http://docs.oracle.com in the database section.

Since SQL Loader is a command line utility that uses a control file to provide directives on how to map and load the data file(s), it can be scheduled to run on a regular basis. IMO, this is best accomplished using the Scheduler included with the latest versions of the database (10g), although any task manager or cron utility can be used. (Personally I would not immediately reject the idea of loading the data into a 10g version of the database and using database links to migrate it back to a lower version of the database until such a solution has been proven incorrect.)

The above is quite generic - OS and database version would help further discussion.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com