Re: Defining / Limiting data in responsibilities

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:21:23 -0700

Base wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please humour me if this is a stupid question, I've searched through
> all of the documentation I can find but nothing seems to be very
> comprehensive?!
>
> Is there (anywhere) a step-by-step guide to setting up
> responsibilities? I've got the basics, but there seems to be so many
> variations, that a good overall guide would seem a good idea, but I
> can't find one anywhere.
>
> Specifically, I need to know where the records that a responsibility
> will allow the user to see is defined. Yes, I know I said I know the
> basics and this would seem pretty basic, but I can't find it
> anywhere?!?!
>
> Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated and it
> would save me cleaning the bloody mess that is getting all over my desk
> where I am banging my head on it =(

The question isn't stupid but the lack of information substantial. What version of Oracle?
What type of responsibilities?
With or without an application server?

Likely what you are referring to is ROLES. And there is no comprehensive step-by-step of which I am aware but the rules are very simple.

  1. Take your organization chart and stand it on its head. Such that the top of the heirarchy is READ_ONLY and intended for the person with the least possible access.
  2. Create roles corresponding with job responsibilities assigning privileges and lower-level roles to roles where appropriate.
  3. Assign the roles to the users.

Then, on the other hand, that may not be at all what you were referring to. Hard to tell.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org