Re: pl/sql, excel, xml, utf-8 data - excel refuses to show data

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 9 Sep 2005 09:19:56 -0700

Mira Tiilikainen (mira.tiilikainen_at_iki.fi) wrote:
: Hello

: I try to open excel with data in xml format. The problem is, that if my
: data consists any utf-8 spesific characters (like scandinavian
: characters found in ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15 for example) excel refuses
: to show the data.

: I open the excel by calling owa_util.mime_header from pl/sql procedure
: as follows:
: owa_util.mime_header
: ( ccontent_type => 'application/vnd.ms-excel'
: );

: after this, i naturally tell excel the necessary information, like <?xml
: version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> and <?mso-application
: progid="Excel.Sheet"?> etc, and describe document properties, declare
: used styles, open worksheet, table and rows, cells, data. all opened and
: closed in correct order. but whenever ie. scandinavian charaters are
: present excel inoforms that "problems came up in the following areas
: during load: Table". when scandinavian characters are removed from text,
: everything works perfectly.

: so to me it looks like the problem lies with character encoding - but
: shouldn't first line (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>) take care
: of that?

: does anyone have any idea how to work this thing out? i'm starting to
: feel really frustrated with this problem. i would really like to be able
: to solve this thing without having to change data structures (data is
: stored in "normal" tables) with the approach i am currectly having. if
: this is not possible, i have to choose another approach and abandon the
: code i have written for this purpose.

: really appreciating any advice and help,

I doubt this has anything to do with Oracle.

Will Excel open utf-8 data containing scandinavian characters from any other source?

--

This programmer available for rent.