Problem with Oracle 9

From: <steve.morrell_at_white-carbon.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2005 09:17:40 -0700

Hi there,

We've been using Oracle 8 for a few years as the back end of our product for a few years now. Recently we started using Oracle 9
(9.2.0.0) and didn't find any problems.

Until... One of our data structures represents a column of data in a grid. We store a single CLOB to represent each column of data, with quotation-surrounded objects in a csv type list. So

     Column

     Thing1
     Thing2
     Thing3

is stored in the database as a single record for "Column", with one CLOB entry in the record of

"Thing1","Thing2","Thing3"

Recently we found that if we include a column with a large number of characters in this CLOB, the data gets truncated. Usually it's when we have around 100 entries of >1000 characters each. We end up getting something akin to

"Thing1","Thing2","Thi

and when we attempt to read this back, we get a index out of bounds error for the final, incomplete value. This truncation seems to happen after ~66000 characters are added to the CLOB, so if we have a column with around 100 entries of 1000 each, we get an "index out of bounds
(66) error".

I can't find any reason why a CLOB would be truncated in this way, and our code has not changed. When we use the same repro case against an Oracle 8 database, it works as it always did without a problem, but we can reproduce the error each time on the Oracle 9 database.

If anyone can help, that'd be appreciated.

Steve. Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 11:17:40 CDT