Oracle Reports Developer - Before Report Trigger

From: Wes <wesley.d.gibbs_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2005 11:40:02 -0700

I'm working in Oracle 9i Reports Developer. I have two queries that are the source for one of my reports. These two queries are connected by two "data links". Each "Data link" connects 1 column from "Query #1" to another column in "Query #2". I want to create a "Before Report" report trigger that checks whether there are records returned from my report source, if no records are returned I will spit out a message to the user letting them know that the report contains no data. I understand how you would normally do this when you have 1 basic simple query with no data links, then it's pretty easy. You would just run the same sql statment that was the report data source, but my report data source is made up of two queries that are connected by two data links. Normally you'd just have something similiar to the following:

function BeforeReport return boolean is
  v_count Number:=0;
begin

   select count(*) from table_a into v_count;    if v_count = 0 then

      return (FALSE);
   end if;
   return (TRUE);
end;

Questions:
(1) Is there some way to reference "this" report object so I can get
the sql that is generated from my two sql queries and two data links so I can put it in a string variable to run the sql that way?
(2) Or do I have to find a equivalent single SQL statement of what ever
sql is generated from the two sql queries and two data links? If this is so, could you lead me in the right direction. My two datalinks are described below