Re: users and schemas and who can use which

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:51:04 -0700

"brightspot" <brightspot5_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124909186.523871.75550_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Sybrand, sorry to be vague. Is there a system table in oracle that
> contains the users and the schemas they are allowed to access? For
> example, JoeUser can use (select, insert, delete, etc) schema1, schema2
> and schema3. MaryUser can use schema1 and schema4. I can get
> information about tables inside a schema, but I need this information
> about the schema itself.

To answer your question more precisely, users aren't granted access to schemas. Note, don't make the mistake of comparing Oracle to SQL Server, thinking that a SQL Server database is equivalent to a schema. It doen't work that way.

User's are granted access to objects, not to schemas. To get a better handle of what schemas are, consider them users created using CREATE USER user IDENTIFIED BY xxxxxx;

However, you can see the schema in which an object was created by inspecting the OWNER column of the USER_TAB_PRIVS view.

Type: describe user_tab_privs
at the SQL> prompt to see a definition of this view.

Hope this helps.

--

Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional