users and schemas and who can use which

From: brightspot <brightspot5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2005 10:41:17 -0700

Hi,

I have a java program that prompts the user for his/her login name. I want to use the login name to find out which of the many schemas in my database he/she is allowed to see and present that list in a drop down menu.

Is there any way in the Oracle system tables to set this up using roles or privileges or profiles (or anything else) and then querying the system tables to check to see who can see what? We are doing this in SQL Server (using system tables) now, and I was wondering if there is a similar mechanism in Oracle.

Or do we have to set up our own user-schema table and do the query that way?

TIA
Chris Received on Wed Aug 24 2005 - 12:41:17 CDT