Re: sqlQuery as string

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:50:04 -0400

"Greg" <gregclau_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1123342310.229369.148160_at_g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Actually there are a few XML functions in DBMS_XMLGEN that take in only
> SELECT queries but I was wondering if there are any other outside of
> those.
> Thanks,
> Greg

most folks don't think of Oracle supplied packages when the subject is oracle functions

the packages dbms_sql and owa_util also handel dynamic sql

can you describe what you're trying to accomplish?

your previous example:

    SELECT FUNCTION('SELECT COLUMN FROM TABLE') FROM TABLE could just be written as a scalar subquery, ie:

    select
      ename
    , deptno
    , (select sum(sal)

      from emp e2
      where e2.deptno = e1.deptno
      ) as dept_sal

    from emp e1
    order by ename

why do you need to pass the query as a string, and under what circumstances?

++ mcs Received on Sat Aug 06 2005 - 11:50:04 CDT