Re: Inter-table references

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:51:52 +0200

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:42:58 -0500, "Dale" <dschmitz4_at_cox.net> wrote:

>I don't even know if my subject line makes sense...
>
>I'm trying to find out if there are ways that similar fields between tables
>can be made dependent on each other for their values. That is, if I define
>two tables with some similar fields, can I force one table to be updated
>from the other outside of running a script to do so.
>
>I guess I'm looking to find out if Oracle has any attributes that would
>cover such requirements, something that is a property between the tables or
>such.
>
>That's as best as I can explain it. Hope this isn't too nebulous.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dale

Well this would apply to a database without any normalization wouldn't it. Because otherwise that disastrous procedure isn't necessary at all, as in a normalized database each attribute is stored only once. You'd better learn how to design a database, than to design novel ways to go to hell.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA