Re: PL/SQL: Is a CURSOR always Dynamic SQL ?? (pls-00455)

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 28 Jul 2005 04:11:24 -0700

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> The syntax is open ... for <sql statement>
> The second time you don't supply a sql statement as parameter but a
> cursor.
> A cursor is a handle to a sql statement, so you can't use it as
> parameter to another cursor.
> The error you are getting is to be expected.

Thanks!
After fiddling around some more I thought as much.

Maybe someone can shed light on why this syntax is not allowed. Is there so much difference between an explicit and an implicit cursor that only an implicit one can be used with OPEN-FOR? I mean, both times there is a SQL stmt that is checked at compile time, so why would one create a OPEN-FOR stmt that cannot use an explicit cursor?

best regards,
Martin Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 06:11:24 CDT