Re: Basic Oracle Concepts

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:12:21 +0100

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>The Oracle program code, executing in memory, is an Instance. And
>multiple instances can connect to a single database. This is what is
>referred to as RAC (Real Application Clusters).

I've been reading up on the Concepts Guide and am a little unclear.

One can also have one Instance connected to multiple databases? For example, if on my machine, there were users connected to both the SCOTT and HR schemas (at the same time), or even one user connected to both at the same time (and say both were running long running queries concurrently).

Or is that two Instances on one machine?

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.