Re: Basic Oracle Concepts

From: newbie <newbie_at_newbie.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:40:46 +0800

<sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:1122465989.131026.239520_at_g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> 1) No, it is not. One database means one instance, means one set of
> services.
> What you propose makes it impossible to run multiple databases *at the
> same time* using one instance. Running two databases at the same time
> requires 2 instances.
> Evidently you know sqlserver. A sqlserver database is more or less the
> same as an Oracle *schema*.
>
> 2) Multiple Oracle Homes are created during installation. Multiple
> Oracle Homes are typically used for
> a) multiple different major releases of the same software
> b) multiple different Oracle products
>
> You would never ever create one home for each database, because the 2
> homes will share exactly *nothing*, and you will run into an
> administration nightmare.
> I admit we administrate a server where Oracle India installed Oracle 3
> times on a single server in this fashion. The installations sucks!
>

> As said before: you will rarely create multiple databases, because
> usually a different schema will do. If you setup your security
> appropiately, different schema's are completely separated. In your
> proposed configuration you are simply going to waste resources.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Thx Mr Bakker,

Perhaps not for production consideration. I am just trying to play around with my test installation for learning purposes.

I installed the starter database when I installed Oracle. Now, I want to practise creating a database myself. Does that means I MUST delete the current starter database first before creating a new one? Can I just ask the Database Configuration Assistant to create a new database while keeping the current one untouched? If yes, I can think of a problem - how the instance identify which database to mount during startup!

I am using Oracle 9i R2 in Windows XP Pro.

Thx for your advice. Received on Wed Jul 27 2005 - 07:40:46 CDT