Re: Write millions of records of data to a flat file

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2005 13:59:35 -0700

When utl_file first came out Oracle documention said that utl_file was slower than writing via pro*c. I believe that native IO still has a small advantage over utl_file so if you have a pro* language available then array fetches and language writes will likely give you the best possible performance. Considering the fact your rows contain over 50 columns and likely exceed the default utl_file row buffer limit of about 1024 bytes I believe that a pro* language may handle the longer records more efficiently also.

Still I would try Sybrand's recommendation first. Writing the code in pl/sql is probably going to be a lot easier and faster. Only if the performance really needs improvement would I try the pro* language angle.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Jul 23 2005 - 15:59:35 CDT