Re: Write millions of records of data to a flat file

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 25 Jul 2005 05:01:51 -0700

nickli wrote:
> I have a table which contains over 30 million rows of data (over 50
> columns). I need to write all the data to a flat file with specified
> delimiter, header and output file name. Which tool is the fastest for
> this task? I can think of tools such as PL/SQL UTL_FILE package, Java
> stored procedure, Perl DBI, among others.

I would do this in PL/SQL using UTL_FILE as this would be the most seamless and transportable solution.

If performance plays a role (I fail to see why), then PL/SQL can be changed to native compilation to increase the I/O performance - if that at all helps. I would expect not as I/O performance can be better addressed by doing less I/O using multi block writes. This should be possible to do using UTL_FILE too. (think buffer sizes and raw writes)

--
Billy