Concepts of LOB

From: alex <alex_at_alexhome.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:49:36 +0800

I am new to using LOB data types. Could anyone double confirm if my understanding of the basic concept is correct.

  1. When I declare a variable of CLOB type and init it with empty_clob(), only a locator is declare. There is no physical storage area allocated.
  2. But when I insert that variable into a table's column, some physical storage in the disk is allocated **implicitly**.
  3. Alternatively, after declaring a variable of CLOB type, I can refer to some physical disk storage area without having to insert the locator into a table by using DBMS_LOB.CREATETEMPORARY() which will create a temporary storage area.

Am I correct? Received on Tue Jun 28 2005 - 21:49:36 CDT